dist-upgrade from stable to testing

After apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade to testing, I got a successful
download of 166 MB. But during the install/config, I saw this message:

mv: cannot create regjular file '/etc/exim/exim.conf' ;  No such file or
directory.

dpkg: error processing /var/cach/apt/archives/exim_3.31-1_i386.deb
(--unpack); subprocess pre-installaation script returned error exit status 1
 Starting MTA exim

This was followed by several lines that look okay and then by

/var/cache/apt/archives/exim_3.31-1_i386.deb
E: Subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

This was followed by my root prompt.  I checked, and exim.conf is directly
under /etc, and I have no exim directory under /etc, which I presume was the
problem.  My question is , what should I do next?  Do I have to repeat the
dist-upgrade, or even do something worse?  The box I did this on is waiting
for your gracious help!