Re: Problem in which x-package?

Tim van Erven <tripudium@chello.nl> writes:
TvE> When I create the file ~/.xsession, X won't start anymore. I want to

This is really not enough information to help figure out what's
wrong.  What are you putting in the file?  (Just touching it?)  What
do you mean by "X won't start"?

.xsession is a shell script containing commands to be run as basically
your entire X session.  When you log in using xdm (and possibly via
other means), .xsession gets run; when .xsession exits, you log out.
If .xsession is an empty file, then you log in, every command in
.xsession gets run (and nothing happens), and you get logged out.

A more normal .xsession might look like

#!/bin/sh
xterm &
xclock &
fvwm2

Such that the xterm and xclock are started in the background, and then
fvwm2 runs.  When fvwm2 exits (maybe because you picked a relevant
menu item), you log out.  Alternatively, you might have something like

#!/bin/sh
gnome-session

which just runs GNOME's session manager.

	-- Abra Mitchell