Re: 1024 Cylinder Violation

Hi,

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Jonathan David Pearce wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Sven Garbade wrote:
>
> >Jonathan David Pearce wrote:
> >>
> >> I installed potato on a friend's computer using the CDs and foolishly
> >> disregarded the warning telling me the kernel must reside on the first
> >> 1024 cylinders.  The computer is question is a Pentium 90 with a 10 gig
> >> disk, a 2 gig disk and a preexisting Windows 95 installation. I was
> >> installing Debian on a couple of unpartitioned gigs at the end of the
> >> drive.
> >
> >There are two disks in the computer? On which one you have installed
> >Debian and where have you installed lilo?
>
> The large disk (10 gig) has both the Debian base system and lilo. The
> small disk has just (Windows) data; the large disk has the Win95
> installation.

Do you have 2 gig free on your 10 gig hd? I think a simple solution is to
copy the 2G data to your 10G harddisk, repartition the 2G harddisk with
the first partition 5MB for /boot and the rest of the harddisk FAT32,
restore the data on the disk and make Linux bootable from your second
harddisk.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan