Re: Reading a mac disk

High,

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, William T Wilson wrote:

> I want to take a Macintosh IDE hard drive (System 8.6), connect it to my
> x86 Linux system and read the data off of it.  (In a pinch, I could use a
> Windows system too, but that looks harder).
>
> Do I have a prayer? :}

Yes ;-). You have to compile a kernel which supports the mac partition
table (CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION=y) and support for the hfs filesystem
(CONFIG_HFS_FS=m). Then you should be able to mount the drive with:
mount -t hfs /dev/sdb3 /mnt

> I've used mtools to read Mac floppies, but as far as I know these are no
> use for reading hard drive data.

If you are running Linux on a Mac, there is a package called 'htools'.
Perhaps this also works on PC reading Mac disks.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan