Re: turning off xdm?

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 06:52:57PM -0500, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 05:39:38PM -0400, Bob Koss wrote:
> >
> > I upgraded my potato install to kernel 2.4.7. When I rebooted, I was
> > greeted with a graphical login.
> >
> > How can I go back to booting to a shell prompt and then starting X if
> > and only if I want to start X?  All of the runlevels except 1 seem to
> > have xdm. Should I just pick a runlevel and delete the xdm in the
> > corresponding rc.x directory?
>
> As root do:
> # update-rc.d -f remove xdm

The problem with that approach is it removes all of the symlinks for
xdm.  While that sounds nice, the next time the xdm package gets an
update, you will be surprised when all of the links have reappeared.

Now, if you follow that by adding something like:

(cd /etc/rc2.d ; ln -s ../init.d/xdm K99xdm)

the you'll have at least one Kill link, and an update/upgrade won't
reset all of the symlinks to their defaults.

But there's not much point in keeping xdm around if one doesn't plan to
use it...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>