re:mssql to free database

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 03:38:02PM -0500, Matt Fair wrote:
> Hello,
> I am converting an ASP Visual Basic application to run on a linux machine.  I > downloaded the trial version of Chilisoft and got the ASP working, now I want > to have the database be mysql or postgresql.  Does anyone know of a
> conversion utility for mssql database to either mysql or postgresql?  Or
> would I just have to setup a database and just use mysql or postgresql?  What > are the sql syntax between Microsoft's and other?  Are there?  I know mysql
> doesn't support transactions, so maybe postgresql is the only option that I
> have since it is a standard sql database, is mssql one?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mysql supports transactions with BerkelyDB(since May 2000), InnoDB and Gemini table types, so you can keep this option open (infos on transactions with mysql appeared in Linux Magazine 08/2001 in an article by Michael Kofler (the issue infos pertain to the german release, so it could be different in the english version (i.e.different month ).
As to mssql conversion programs, I would check out sourceforge.net, freshmeat.net and the respective webpages ( a.e. www.mysql.org or www.postgresql.org.) for the easiest solution.

Cheers.

Eamon Roque.