Vmac and Basilisk II

Hi, I'm trying to get Basilisk II or vMac (preferably Basilisk II) running on
my Debian laptop. However, whenever either one tries to boot from the floppy,
it just reads the drive for a second, then gives up immediately. vMac never
recognizes there's a disk, Basilisk II won't run because there's nothing to
boot from. The ROM is good, I've checked that out. In each one I told the
program to use /dev/fd0 or made a symlink with the name of its default floppy
device, linked to /dev/fd0. I even tried compiling in Mac filesystem support
into my kernel, but to no avail.

Has anyone had this problem or know what I'm doing wrong?
-- Deven Gallo