Upgrade broke gpm?

I'm currently tracking 'testing', and run dselect's 'update', etc. fairly
frequently. I prefer 'stable' but it's just so far behind some things.

My mouse has stopped working. I use gpm as a repeater to X.

I'm reasonably certain that it stopped working since I did my update
yesterday, gpm was upgraded, I answered no to something about restarting
it, and I later rebooted. syslog tells me nothing.

gpm-mouse-test mostly hangs, but once it did seem to find my PS/2 mouse on
/dev/psaux and got it running again. A reboot, and it died again.

I've also been trying a different mouse, to no avail.

Has anyone else upgraded very recently and had a similar experience?

-- Mark