Re: messages log file

on Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 04:57:58PM +1000, Craig W (craigw@bigpond.net.au) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This may sound really stupid, however I cannot seem to locate anything
> about it anywhere.  When I view the messages log file it is full of
> --MARK-- , what does this mean? I have never seen it on any other of
> the Linux boxes I have (running RH though). I am slowly trying to get
> to grips with Debian before I go swapping out all the RH boxes.

It's a timestamp.  You'll find the generating script in one of your
system crontabs.

> Also any ideas on why I have ssh running & can log in from my internal
> network, I have allowed the IP range from work access, I can scan the box
> from work & it reports that the ports I have open are definitely open, yet I
> cannot connect (I even set up Apache to see if I could get a webpage, ie:
> some sort of connection happening between the box & the remote) & yet I
> still get "connection refused by remote.."

Try running the client with verbose option:

    $ ssh -v <host>

Check your sshd server messages, generally in /var/log/auth.log.

> I have triple-checked that I have the ipchains set up correctly ( &
> ran a packet through the chains to ensure the chains weren't to
> blame), any ideas, I have checked the config of ssh & all appears
> sweet, although I get this error when I even try to get the default
> page up in a browser on the  remote.

What happens if you telnet port 80 from a remote site?  Does the request
show up in any system logs?

> I am suspicious of my ISP "filtering" the connections (although after
> speaking to them they tell me they don't), although wouldn't a std.
> nmap scan show my ports as closed or filtered if this is the case?

Check your ISP's AUP.  More and more are denying users server ports.