Re: AudioPCI: choppy sound (ES1371)

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 04:11:54AM +0200, bounce-debian-user=joe=bouchard.com@lists.debian.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using a Creative AudioPCI sound card using an Ensoniq ES1371
> chipset (kernel modules es1371). The card works fine so far, e.g. when
> using xmms / freeamp and that. But when currently testing more complex
> media caps of my sys - mean playing demos from lokigames - the sound
> gets very choppy and pauses sometimes for some milliseconds.
> I read that some video cards may be the reason for polling the PCI bus.
> But I wonder when lokking at this:
>
> Any DirectX game / Windows:				bad
> QuakeIII (OpenGL) / Windows:				good
> Descent3 demo (OpenGL) / Linux:				bad
> Heretic demo (OpenGL software renderer) / Linux:	good
> Heretic demo (OpenGL hardware renderer) / Linux:	bad

Hi,

I realize this doesn't help much, but my wife has an Ensoniq PCI128
using the ES1371 driver and it works fine.  I've been compiling sound
into the kernel, not module, with 2.0.36-2.2.17 and windows.  It's a
Pentium 133, and we don't play the above games, but it works fine on
windows directx games and minor linux stuff - never choppy.

All this really means is the linux driver does a good job at what it was
intended to do.

--

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard