Re: Modules gone after Kernel update to 2.4.7

"Herbert Pirke" <debian_help@yahoo.com> writes:
> I recently upgraded my Kernel from 2.2.19 to 2.4.7.
> Everything worked fine at the first glance. But when I
> try using functins that are available vie kernel
> modules, I get a message saying "xxx not supported by
> kernel" (or something similar). A modprobe ends with a
> mesage saying "Cannot find module xxx". However an
> insmod with the exact path works flawlessly...
>
> This looks like some missing paths to me. How and
> where are these configurated?
>
> Or could it be that there is some kerneld
> configuration missing? When I compiled my kernel, I
> realised that the kerneld-option does not exist any
> more. It only say "loadable module support" which I
> checked of course. Modutils is installed of course...

What debian distribution are you running? I hope it's "testing/woody"
or "unstable/sid" because I don't think the modutils package in
"stable/potato" can handle the new 2.4.x way of doing kernel modules.

If you're running potato look at the debian-user list archive. I seem
to recall a post on how to run a 2.4.x kernel on potato.

Gary