Fwd: Re: xdm & login problems

>Andy Saxena writes:
 > On Monday July 30 2001 14:46, Pedro Quaresma de Almeida wrote:
 > > Hi
 > >
 > > my xdm setup is broken... :(
 > >
 > > When I try to run xdm, it starts nicely showing the login-screen but
 > > when I try to login it fails returning to the xdm login-screen.
 > >
 > > Whats the problem?
 > >
 > > Can you help me? Thank you.
 >
 > You need to provide more details. When you say "it fails" exactly what
 > happens? Does the login screen reappear after disappearing for a
 > second? Or
 > do you get another message?
 >
 > -Andy

Pedro said:

Thank you for your answer.

Trying to provide more info.

i) xdm starts and show the login/password screen :)

ii) I provide my username and password :)

iii) the login/password screen disappears :)

iv) the user's X session does not begin, instead the X servers is
initialised (it seems like that) and the login/password screen
reappears :(

I am trying to look in the /etc/X11/xdm/ files for something wrong but
without any luck...

The end of the file /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-errors looks like this

AUDIT: Tue Jul 31 10:28:47 2001: 2324 X: client 3 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xmodmap:  unable to open display ':0'
(--) SVGA: Read OPTION 0x40079121
xdm error (pid 2371): fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe)

Thanks.

--
    At\'e breve

Pedro Quaresma