RE: strange PATH problems with root

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I run Debian Potato (Kernel 2.2.17) with Gnome and sawmill as Window
> > Manager. I use the Gnome Display Manager for graphical loggin.
> >
> > Last week, I decide to uninstall gdm.
> > Just after unsinstall, I discovered a (small) problem on my system
when
> > login into bash : the root's PATH is not set as it was before. The
root PATH
> > doesn't contain /sbin;/usr/sbin anymore.
> > I took a look at the config file from gdm and saw that the PATH for
root was
> > correctly set in this file.
> >
> > I checked /etc/profile and /root/.bash_profile but the PATH isn't set
in any
> > of these file for root user.
> > However, I can remenber that my system was running correctly before I
> > decided to use gdm. So the right config files must have been
overwriten or
>> lost. I can't remenber if I've modified root's .bash_profile for
example.

> > So, here come my question :
> > Could someone send me root's dot configuration file (.bash_profile at
> > least).
> > Is there a .profile for root just after a freshly install
> >
> > Or better, has someone been confronted to the same problem ?
> > Is this due to gdm ?
> >

> You must have sash installed.  This can be tested by doing an "su" from
> the command line.  If sash is installed, then root's login shell will
> not include /sbin;/usr/sbin, but "su" will give root a proper shell
> including /sbin;/usr/sbin  AFAIK, this feature is intended to be a last
line of
> defense against some rootkits and against hackers who are unaware of
> sash.
> I believe that you can set a different password for the full featured
> root
> shell, but I have been unable to make this work.  I'm not eleet 3n0ugh I

> guess.  I'm going to be trying again when I add a new box (new toys,
> yay,
> being employed isn't all that bad after all.) to my playground next
> week.

> --
>   Paul T Wright <paul@cvanet.com>

Unfortunately, I'm not running sash...
Could someone send me the original root's dotfile (.bashrc, .bash_profile,
 .profile) and eventually /etc/profile or give me the name of the package
that contains those files.
I'm very surprised by this PATH configuration.
I wasn't running gdm at the beginning and I'm quite sure that
/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin
were in root's PATH (I could lunch dselect and use dselect without exporting
a new PATH manually.

Uninstalling gdm does not recover the initial state ???
What is this shit ?