How to startx as normal user?

I just reinstalled Debian/GNU 2.2 (Potato) and even though I thought I told it
no when it asked if I wanted to install xdm, it installed it anyway. I removed
xdm (using dpkg) because I don't want to use it. Now when I type startx as a
normal user it responds:

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions
You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I could not find anything containing the name Xwrapper on the HDD or in dselect.
On a previous installation, xdm was not installed and I could start it as a
normal user (bash: startx). How do I fix it?