Xfree86 not working

I can't get Xfree86 4.0.3 to work on my Compaq Presario 5820

It has a Voodoo3 3000 card and a ViewSonic E655 monitior.

Whenever I try to start X it always "clicks" in with a screen with a
bunch of horizontial pick stripes then "clicks" out with this error on
the command line.

[drm:drm_release] *Error* Process 211 dead, free lock for context 1

it does this several times but with different processes and context

[drm:drm_release] *Error* Process 218 dead, free lock for context 2
[drm:drm_release] *Error* Process 221 dead, free lock for context 3
[drm:drm_release] *Error* Process 224 dead, free lock for context 4

Then it stops trying putting up a dialog telling me it is not configured
correctly.

Here are the relevant settings

Section "Module"
	Load "ddc"
	Load "GLcore"
	Load "dbe"
	Load "dri"
	Load "extmod"
	Load "glx"
	Load "pex5"
	Load "record"
	Load "xie"
	Load "bitmap"
	Load "freetype"
	Load "speedo"
	Load "type1"
	Load "vbe"
	Load "int10"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier "3Dfx Voodoo3"
	Driver "tdfx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "ViewSonic E655"
	HorizSync 30-65
	VertRefresh 50-100
	Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Default Screen"
	Device "3Dfx Voodoo3"
	Monitior "ViewSonic E655"
	DefaultDepth 16
Have all Subsection Depths with these modes
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode 0666
EndSection

BTW, I can't use the command "startx" it says
bash: startx: command not found

I have been using gdm to start X.