Re: Removing a sound module?

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 07:50:15AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> if you can't remove the sound module with rmmod or modprobe, you will
need to
> reboot the system.

a fuser -v /dev/dsp /dev/audio /dev/mixer may be helpful in
identifying and killing a process which is using the sound device and
tying up the module.

i've also found on occasion, my sound drivers will get corrupted after
a suspend/resume on my laptop.  fuser didn't show anything using the
device, but when i checked my processes, esd was sitting there pegging
the cpu.  when i killed esd, i could remove and reinstall the sound
driver (maestro3) and sound would work again.

i appreciated this solution instead of rebooting because it is just
fun to tell people you are tracking an uptime on your laptop.

--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |