strange PATH problems with root

Hi all,

I run Debian Potato (Kernel 2.2.17) with Gnome and sawmill as Window
Manager. I use the Gnome Display Manager for graphical loggin.

Last week, I decide to uninstall gdm.
Just after unsinstall, I discovered a (small) problem on my system when
login into bash : the root's PATH is not set as it was before. The root PATH
doesn't contain /sbin;/usr/sbin anymore.
I took a look at the config file from gdm and saw that the PATH for root was
correctly set in this file.

I checked /etc/profile and /root/.bash_profile but the PATH isn't set in any
of these file for root user.
However, I can remenber that my system was running correctly before I
decided to use gdm. So the right config files must have been overwriten or
lost. I can't remenber if I've modified root's .bash_profile for example.

So, here come my question :
Could someone send me root's dot configuration file (.bash_profile at
least).
Is there a .profile for root just after a freshly install

Or better, has someone been confronted to the same problem ?
Is this due to gdm ?

thanks a lot

--
Pascal Thivent