host name lookup failure

I am running Progeny Debian 1.0 with cable connection.

First I could not ping or resolve host names. So I ran
the command:

dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

I selected the Automatic setup.
I did not enter the name for my dns server. When everything was done I could
ping but I cannot use ftp or ssh. These are the error messages I am getting:

ftp:ftp.ssh.org: Host name Lookup failure
ssh:genesis.com: Temporary failure in name resolution.

I went back and ran dpkg-reconfigure again and put in a dns server name but
I still receive the same error message.

I checked my /etc/hosts file and I see my loopback IP address but the dns
servers are not correct. It says that I cannot adjust the information at the
top but if I edit below my input will be entered.

I'm confused. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Wildjsse.