Re: why procmail?

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Jeff Maxson wrote:

>>relative newbie question: If I use pine (or any other filter-capable
>>mail reader) why use procmail to filter the messages?  Pine does that on
>>its own, if you tell it too...just wondering the benefits....
>
> None now.  Filtering in pine is a recent addition, so some of us use
> procmail by inertia.

Procmail is also probably more powerful than Pine's filtering, since
procmail can run arbitrary commands.  If you want to filter out
WINMAIL.DAT, or autorespond to Sircam, you can do it with procmail,
but probably not Pine.  (Well, maybe you can... I don't know what its
filtering is like.)

There's just something I don't like about Virginia; the state.