Re: netscape freeze, additional info

on Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 05:25:44AM -0400, xk035@netscape.net (xk035@netscape.net) wrote:
> Ok,

First:  try posting followups to an existing thread rather than a new
one.  It's where people will look for them, and provides context.

> freeze means that the machine don't react to ANYTHING, not even to:
> - Ctrl-Alt-Fn
> - Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> - login via telnet or serial line
> - Ctrl-Alt-Del

That's a good definition of a hard freeze.

ObligTelnetBashing:  don't use telnet.  Remove your telnet daemon.  Use
SSH for all remote access.  Consider removing your telnet client
(there's an alternative, whose name I forget, which is useful for
establishing connections to various network ports for testing).

> Even a active telnet session from another host to that machine freezes
> so i have to kill it on that host. I didn't say freeze for no reason.
> Simply turning off a Linux box is something even I consider the last
> of all possible solutions!

Undesireable, but not the end of the world.  Think of it as a clear
indication that something's wrong.

> The logfiles dont give me hints either, at least the 'popular' ones
> 'syslog' and 'messages' (which are especially hard to view on a frozen
> machine so i redirected them to another host).

Someone check me on this, but you may want to look at your syslog
options such that you're not buffering log output in any way.  You'll
likely loose the last few lines of a log, which could be the crucial
information you need.

I'd also write a small script (or research elsewhere) which logs system
resources.  Particularly memory utilization, possibly also CPU and maybe
open files or some other metric.  I'd start with memory and CPU though.

> My video card is a noname but it has a S3-Virge on it (dont know the
> name of the controller right now) and 2MB of ram. I know that that's
> not much, but I dont have the money for a 32MB card right now.

I use an S3 card myself, and had problems many, many moons ago trying to
use the SVGA driver for it.  Circumstances where somewhat different:  I
couldn't start a second X session, either simultaneously or
successively, without locking the box.

> I guess I mentioned that I use icewm for my window-manager?
>
> Unfortunatelly, I've also tried another browser, namely Opera5.0. It
> also freezes (surprise surprise) in the same way that Netscape4.76
> does.

I suspect a video problem.  Check your X output carefully.  I'd also try
running the system for a time without running either Netscape or Opera,
to see if anything else causes problems.  Possibly StarOffice, that
bloated stuck pig of an office suite, which has a built-in browser.

> Ah yeah, Lynx works.

;-)

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!