Re: [OT] HUB question

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 05:42:32PM -0400, Sunny Dubey wrote:
| hey,
|
| I have two hubs, and I'd like to be able to connect them to each other.  Both
| have a port called "uplink port", do I need to use a cross over cable to
| connect both hubs using their uplink ports, or should I use a normal cable to
| connect the both of them?

You can :
    o   use a normal cable to connect the uplink of one to a "normal"
        socket of the other

    o   use a crossover cable to hook up the two uplink sockets
        (maybe)

    o   use a crossover cable to hook up two of the "normal" sockets
        (maybe)

What is needed is for the send of one interface to hook up to the
receive of the other.  This is what crossover cables are for in the
presence of identical connectors.  Manufacturers typically provide a
socket labeled "uplink" that is crossed over internally so that you
don't need an external crossover cable.

HTH,
-D