Re: it keeps crashing

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 11:00:52AM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:

| > Martin> instead, it keeps crashing on me... kernel panic in pid 0
| > Martin> "process swapper." however, memtest86 reports no errors for
| > Martin> the RAM chip, and badblocks, run with the destructive write
| > Martin> option, reports no bad blocks within the swap partition.
| >
| > My guess is that you simply have not enough memory.
|
| AFAIK 8MB is enough to boot linux, or it should be.

I can verify this.  I am using an old Gateway2000 i486sx, 25MHz with
8MB RAM right now to write this.  I have ~32MB swap.  It is running as
a router for my dial-up connection, but it also has a keyboard and
monitor so I am using it for ssh-ing to school to read my mail (and
write this).  I have kernel 2.2.19 and have no stability problems
(only performance problems :-), for example when I use dpkg)

-D