Re: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135 (daemon.log)

* Gladimir (listmgr@san.rr.com) [010717 21:31]:

> I have tracked this down to the point that I know it is an alias for the
> real time clock, and that it only occurs soon after switching to run-level 6
> and run-level 0.  I also know that the alias exists in two files, that I
> know of; /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modutils/arch/i386.  Removing the alias
> from i386 has no effect.
>
> I have seen a few people suggesting that I should edit modules.conf, but the
> modules.conf file has comments stating that it should never be edited
> manually.  Is it either safe or effective to manually edit this file?  If
> not the modules.conf file, then which file do I edit to affect this
> workaround until I can compile rtc in the kernel?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> - gladimir

This is most likely being done by /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh. That it
happens with runlevels 0 and 6 would make sense when looking at:

vineet@gobo /etc/init.d % ls /etc/rc?.d/*hwclock.sh
/etc/rc0.d/K25hwclock.sh@  /etc/rc6.d/K25hwclock.sh@
/etc/rcS.d/S50hwclock.sh@

The actual command that tries to load the rtc driver is hwclock

from hwclock(8):

       hwclock tries to use /dev/rtc.  If it is  compiled  for  a
       kernel  that doesn't have that function or it is unable to
       open /dev/rtc, hwclock will fall back to  another  method,
       if  available.   On an ISA or Alpha machine, you can force
       hwclock to use the direct manipulation of the CMOS  regis­
       ters  without  even  trying  /dev/rtc  by  specifying  the
       --directisa option.

Looks to me like it tries to access /dev/rtc, which in turn tries to
load the kernel's rtc driver (char-major-10-135).

I saw the same error message with every boot/reboot. My solution was
just to include the rtc driver next time I built my kernel, but you
probably don't need that, and it's not worth recompiling just for
that; try adding the --directisa option in /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh

HTH,
Vineet