system logs

I've decided to have a look at /var/log which over the months
has become quite large. The man page for syslog.conf and
/etc/syslog.conf I basically understand, but I can't find any
config file which relates to the savelog program, yet files.0
and .x.gz have been created in /var/log.

I have little use for a great deal of logging - just the last
five or six days will be enough and that for fewer facilities
and priorities than are covered at present. Hopefully, I'll
be able to make something of logrotate.

Can someone please explain how/where savelog operates from?

Thanks,

John.
.