Re: ipmasq ipchanis; newbie question

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 07:07:12PM -0500, Robert Matijasec wrote:
> I am using Debian 2.2 (potato) with ipchains 1.3.9

Yep.  Join the club.

> I can ping other computers on my network when ipmasq is
> disabled. But when it's on I get a operation not permitted
> message when I try to ping another machine. So as someone
> hinted before, this is probably something wrong with
> my firewall rules.

I do not understand you.  Which machine run ipmasq?  What are the source
and destination of ping.

> First of all do I need to recompile kernel to get masq
> to work w/my version of Debian ?

As far as you use default kernel, No.  It works as is.

> I followed config file for 2.2.x kernels in the masq
> HOWTO, but I must not be doing something right.

> in any case this is what ipchains -L gives me :
> target prot opt 	 source 	destination ports
> ACCEPT udp  ------ anywhere 	anywhere    bootps -> bootpc

??? Does this allow reply from bootpc ->bootps ?
Mine has both.

ACCEPT udp ------  anywhere  anywhere any -> bootpc
ACCEPT udp ----l-  myhost.domain.com anywhere bootpc ->   any

> Chain forward (policy DENY):
> target prot opt    source         destination ports
> MASQ   all  ------ 192.168.0.0/24 anywhere    n/a
> Chain output (policy DENY):

> I am connecting to my provider with dhcpcd, and that
> works as well when ipmasq is not engaged.

Did you check examples in /usr/share/doc/ipmasq?

> I noticed that some docs use 192.168.0.* for class C
> networked machines while the masq pages use
> 192.168.1.* for machines on the network, does this
> matter at all ?

Which ever works as long as you assign them consistently.

check /etc/network/interfaces

Osamu
--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +