Urgent! everything is Connection refused!

Hey,

I'm kind of in a fix at work here.  I installed debian
at home, and i brought the machine in here at work,
but i can't connect to any ftp sites.  I've configured
everything for the LAN at work, but not everything's
happy, here's what works:

-ping (myself, the lan, and anything on the internet)
-telnet (myself, the lan, not internet)
-ftp (myself, the lan, not internet)

When I do try to open a connection to ftp.debian.org
or ftp.gnome.org it instantly says 'Connection
refused'.  But it's not even going out over the
internet (i don't think, it seems to just die).  My
other debian box is working very happily, but i can't
seem to figure out what's wrong

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson