Re: embarrassing X question

Joost Kooij wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 08:27:49AM -0400, Richard Black wrote:
> > For some reason, I can no longer remote login to another terminal and
> > display stuff on mine!  This started happening last week (with,
> > possibly, the changes to gdm...)
> >
> > I have tried many different things.  Typical is something like:
> >
> > [local machine]
> > xhost +
> > rlogin remote
> >
> > [remote machine]
> > export DISPLAY=local:0.0
> > nedit
> >
> > But all I get is:  NEdit: Can't open display
>
> The xfree86 packages have been changed to not accept tcp connections
> at all by default.  Check out the "-nolisten" option in your xserver
> manual page.
>
> If you want to turn it back on, change /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers or
> /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, depending on how you start your xserver.
>
> Generally, don't use xhost, it is not safe.  Instead use xauth.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joost

Okay thanks!

But...how do I use xauth?  I have tried doing what what suggested in the man
page ie variants of

xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh otherhost xauth merge -

but there still seems to be a problem.  One thing I was wondering is if this
works when dhcpd is used.  In particular, the machine in my DISPLAY variable on
the remote machine is different from the machine in the .Xauthority file (on the

remote machine)

Is there a way to deal with this do you know?

Richard