Re: Gnome got ugly?

On Tuesday 17 July 2001 23:14, David Z. Maze wrote:
> Kurt Dresner <omega697@hotmail.com> writes:
> KD> Does anyone know what happened with the recent (last couple of
> weeks) KD> update of gdm, such that the login screen is just really
> ugly looking? KD> It used to have the little picture and just the
> simple "welcome to KD> hostname" screen.  Now it has all these
> menus and stuff.  Is there any KD> way to change it back to being
> all nice looking?
>
> Edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and restart gdm.  Reading gdm(8) would have
> pointed you to this file fairly quickly.

If he's talking about the latest and (I think) the greatest gdm (2.2
unstable), there's now a nice /usr/bin/gdmconfig helper app (root).
No need to fiddle with some poorly documented config file. You can
now easily theme your gdm with the same indecent themes you use on
your (gnome) desktop. There's also gdmphotosetup to let you put your
face or your cat's as the clickable login icon.

dpkg -L gdm | grep bin
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/gdm
/usr/bin/gdmchooser