Re: xine (testing) (was: [xine-user] sockets)

Hi Jim,

sorry for not answering immediately, but the problem is that I can't see
any problem (see below for explanations)

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Jim McCloskey wrote:

[...]
> I just installed Xine (version 4.3) from testing.  I also installed
> xine-dvd-css (from an unofficial debian site).  I'm running kernel
> version 2.4.5 and version 4.0.3 of XFree86 (from testing).
>
> My video card is a Matrox Millennium G400. X is configured to use the
> mga driver for the card. I have mtrr enabled in the kernel, and the
> video card memory information appears in /proc/mtrr.
>
> When I try to start xine, I encounter this problem:

[...]
> input_dvd: unable to open raw dvd drive (/dev/rdvd): No such file or directory

This tells you that xine can't open a raw DVD drive, which is just fine
(I don't use one either). Xine should use the buffered device instead,
wasting some buffer space, but who cares...

Well one thing is strange: I don't have this message, so I guess you have
a dangling symlink /dev/rdvd or similar which might trick xine into trying
raw device instead of the buffered one (which should be /dev/dvd).

> input plugin found : /usr/lib/xine/plugins/input_dvd.so(input_dvd.so)
> xine_init: plugins loaded
> xine: could not connect to socket

This is normal, as well. Just tells you (though I admit it could be more
verbose) that it couldn't connect to the lircd socket, which would be used
for IR remote control if you had lirc running...

> xine: No such file or directory

Well, I get "xine: Connection refused" here, which still belongs to the
/dev/lircd socket...

Maybe that's connected to the first error?

> debian-user but didn't find anything useful. There is a bug report
> (#98147) describing a partially similar problem (`could not connect to
> socket'), and a response from the maintainer suggesting that the
> problem has to do with broken xvideo support in the Xserver. But
> running xine -s (to force use of X shared memory extension rather then
> the Xv extension) produces the same error:
[basically the same]

> I don't understand what `raw' devices are, although I know that they
> are a feature of the 2.4.x series kernels. I've not had much luck
> getting information on how to set them up though. Is it crucial to use
> them? It's also not clear to me whether or not the error message
> `could not connect to socket' derives from, or is separate from, the
> error message about raw devices.
>
> Is there someone who could help? I'd be very grateful indeed,

Well, is it only the message? Are you getting video? Audio? Anything?

Btw: raw devices are just a way to directly access a block device, without
any caching, wich saves buffer space, as long as you want to read the
device only once. (typically the case for DVDs, since you don't want to
see the same 5 minutes again and again...)

Regards,
	Siggi