Re: zip drive?

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> Jeld The Dark Elf wrote:
>
> > There is a wierd problem with ZIP disks. The ones formatted for
> > windows have their main partition at /dev/hdd4 while the ones
> > formatted with ext2 are /dev/hdd1. Don't know why.
>
> I've never seen any formatted with ext2 unless I had done it
> myself, in which case I did whatever I wanted.

AFAIK, the factory (FAT) formatted Zip disks sold by Iomega always use
hdd4.  You could of course repartition them, but most people who do
this then make an ext2 file-system rather that vfat, which explains
the fstab entries below.

> /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/mini/ZIP-Drive.txt.gz advised people
> to do this in /etc/fstab:
>
>      /dev/sda1 /zip     ext2  noauto,rw,user,nosuid,sync
>      /dev/sda4 /zipdos  vfat  noauto,rw,user,nosuid,sync,mode=0777
>
>   These entries assume that you have a /zip and a /zipdos
>   directory.  With the fstab entries as above you can mount a dos
>   disk with mount /zipdos If you are using a linux ext2 disk then
>   use the command mount /zip

Note that you can alternatively specify "auto" as the file-system
type, in which case it will be auto-detected by mount.

--

Leonard Stiles <ljs@uk2.net>