ANSWER: explicitely setting refresh rate

Hello,

this is not a question but an answer to one I have read several months ago
on this list. I am unable to find that message, so I write it down here.

The question was how you could set the refresh rate that X is using. The
guy had a windoze installation and every time he booted to X he had to
tune its monitor because windoze and X uses different refresh rates.

The answer is to play with the dotclocks. In /etc/X11/XF86Config there are
several modelines like:

Modeline "1280x1024" 70.00 1152 1208 1368 1474 864 865 875 895

The first number is the dotclock in MHz. It describes the amount of pixels
that is drawn per second. So, with this resolution you have
1280x1024=1310720 pixels to be drawn with a rate of 70 MHz. That means
that your refresh rate is 70e6/1310720 = 53.4 Hz.

A simple mathematical equation can do the thing vice versa. Lets say you
want a vertical refresh rate of V Hz. Your dotclock is then:

dotclock [MHz] = 1280*1024* V [Hz]

so if you want 60 Hz, the dotclock for this resolution is 78.5432.

Hope this helps someone (cleared things up for me anyway).

Greetz,
Sebastiaan

--
  NT is the OS of the future. The main engine is the 16-bit Subsystem
  (also called MS-DOS Subsystem). Above that, there is the windoze 95/98