Re: NFS alternative

* D-Man (dsh8290@rit.edu) spake thusly:
> Ok, that makes sense.  How about if probability leaves us behind and a
> packet is lost?  Does NFS provide any way to correct for that or will
> your filesystem be hosed?

Thankfully, I forget the details[0]. From experience, no, it won't be
exactly hosed: you'll end up with a .nfs004950384672385721380937 file that
will grow and eventually fill up the partition... nothing an rm -rf / won't
fix. And then there's negative cookies and stale mounts that require a reboot
on most unices I've seen... you had to remind me, didn't you?

[0] it's built on top of RPC, so whatever error-correction mechanism RPC uses
    should apply. Plus, NFS does its own caching and stuff... IIRC.
Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/descript/gpgkey.dmaziuk.ascii -- GnuPG 1.0.4 public key