Re: Real Player for potato

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 01:51:37PM +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> OK, just need a little help here trying to install realplayer on my
> debian potato box.
>
> I went to the real.com site and downloaded their
> rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs2.bin file.  But then I did a bit of google
> searching and found that there is an installer .deb for it but it is
> only in woody / sid and not for potato.
>
> So I edited my /etc/apt/sources.list and changed it to point
> (temporarily) to woody and tried to apt-get install realplayer.
> However, it wanted to upgrade libc6, perl, debconf and a whole lot of
> others - which I naturally refused to do.

It naturally want to upgrade your packages if you put in a deb uri
that points to all updated packages.  No need for the automatic power
screwdriver if all you want to do is to hammer a single nail into
the wall.

> So, is it fine to just run the installer rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs2.bin
> I have already downloaded from real.com, or is there some better way to
> not upset my stable potato machine?

Manually download the realplayer installer deb from the debian archive.
Install the deb manually with dpkg -i.  It will look for the realplayer
bin thing and unpack it and set it up.

Cheers,

Joost