Re: dumb wav->mp3 question

Jonathan D Proulx <jon@ai.mit.edu> writes:
JDP> On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 09:42:31PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
JDP> :Better is to use the ogg format instead of mp3.  Ogg is free.
JDP> :It is also said to be technically better.  Install vorbis-tools.
JDP>
JDP> I did run across that, where "technically better" == lossless

Ogg Vorbis certainly isn't lossless; the claim is that it sounds
better at the same bitrate, or equivalently that you need a lower
bitrate for the same sound quality.  I think MP3 is typically fixed
bitrate, whereas Vorbis uses a variable bitrate.

JDP> For my current streaming purposes I converted the files to realaudio
JDP> (even worse than mp3 from a freesoftware perspective), I'll need to
JDP> review ogg support in main stream clients before comitting...

Current xmms supports it.  It looks like there's now a Windows Media
plugin; the FAQ on http://www.vorbis.com/ lists several Windows
players, along with xmms, freeamp, and ogg123 for Un*x.

	-- Abra Mitchell