Re: NFS related error; do I need NFS?

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, Gladimir wrote:

> 1) Do I need NFS on this linux machine?

The general rule is if (a) you don't know what a service
is, or (b) you don't know if you need it, you probably don't.
If you did need it, you'd know.  Disable rpc.statd, rpc.nfsd,
portmap(per), and any other RPC-related daemons that might
be running.  Running unneeded rpc.* services has caused more
than one machine to get compromised.

> 2a) If so, how do I make this error go away?

Uninstall the package that provides rpc.statd.

> 2b) If not, what is the process for removing the nfs-common scripts from the
> system initialization?

Remove the packages that provide rpc.statd, rpc.mountd,
portmap, and the other RPC services that are installed.
I don't recall the package names right off-hand, but it's
nothing that `dpkg --status filename` won't tell you.

HTH.

j.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis     <jlgaddis@blueriver.net>