compiling drivers, kernel; configuration strategy...

The immediate problem I am trying to address is the following error reported
in /var/log/messages:

PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 40, VID=1095, DID=0643

I have downloaded and expanded my kernel source code (2.2.12), which did
include the desired driver source:

/usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.12/drivers/block/cmd646.c

However, there appeared to be no precompiled module file as far as I could
tell, and 'modconf' only has 5 entries in the block category (cmd64x is not
one of them).  I ran the following command for compiling the driver, as
suggested on a website:

gcc -DMODULE -D_KERNEL_ -O6 -c cmd646.c

This produces several screens of error messages and I can't seem to capture
them by appending ' > cmd646.out' to the end of the command.

In any event, this leads to the greater question of strategy.  Am I correct
in assuming that these sorts of issues should be worked out before I finally
re-compile kernel for my system?  Thanks in advance for any help,
corrections, tips, and advice on different configuration approaches.

- g