Where can I find modversion.h???

Hi,
    I am tring to get my network card working and recently got the source codes from a developer.  I followed his instruction to compile but got the error of modversion.h not found error:

DarkHorse:/usr/src/modules# gcc -I/usr/include/linux -DMODULE -D_KERNEL_ -O6 -c winbond-840.c
winbond-840.c:111: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
In file included from winbond-840.c:133:
kern_compat.h:42: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory

Yeah, it is true that it isn't found when I check the /usr/include/linux directory.  I am wondering if the header file is supposed to be created when the kernel is compiled.  And how do I get modversion.h?  By recompiling the source again or what?  I have a kernel of 2.2.18pre21.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Lee