Re: missing consoles

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 07:58:59PM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 07:16:33PM -0700, David J. Roundy wrote:
> [snip]
> > I took a look at this, where the virtual consoles are created, and see
now
> > how both my problem were caused.  Somehow one of the init.d scripts (I
> > think it was kdm itself) didn't return, so init didn't finish reading
> > through inittab, and so it never got to calling getty.
>
> Make sure /etc/init.d/kdm has "exit 0" on the last line.  It should, but
> if it doesn't, it could be a problem.

It does have 'exit 0' on the last line.  Actually, it doesn't seem to get
past the 'start-stop-daemon' line.  :(  Here is a snippet:

  start)
    echo -n "Starting K display manager: "
    if getpid && stillrunning; then
      echo "already running."
    else
      start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON
      -- $ARG && echo "done."
    fi
    echo "this is only a test by David Roundy."
  ;;

It prints the "Starting K display manager: ", but doesn't print done.  I
can produce this either at startup, or in console mode by running
`/etc/init.d/kdm start`, which does start up kdm and it runs fine, but it
doesn't print done and doesn't return.  Then if I hit ^C in the console in
which I typed the `/etc/init.d/kdm start`, it prints the 'done.' and the
test message (and kdm dies).

I am currently at a loss, and ready to take a break for the day.  xdm seems
to start and stop just fine (no surprise there, just wanted to make sure I
wasn't going crazy).
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/