Re: sendmail gethostbyaddr fails

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 01:10:01PM -0600, Jimmy Richards wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 11:40:49AM -0700, Mike Pfleger wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 01:32:35PM -0500, Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> > > Can you resolve 192.168.1.45 into a fully qualified
> > > domain name?
> >
> > Errr... excuse the cluelessness, but how would you recommend
> > doing that?  I don't run local DNS, and the DNS entries in
> > /etc/resolv.conf
> > point to my ISPs nameservers on the other side of my firewall.
> > Is this a problem because my firewall assigns IP addresses to
> > the workstations on my LAN via DHCP?  I'm still learning lots
> > of things about networking...
>
> 	Hi Mike,
>
> 	Try   dig -x 192.168.1.45
>
> 	Jim

Knowing about 'dig' is cool, but misses an essential point: The class C
address series 192.168.x.y are reserved for private networks. Nobody
actually on the internet can use these. Your machine will never resolve
this address properly unless it's running IP Masqerading or it's primary
router does (e.g., your machine has a similar address and is on the same
private network. I'm sure there are exceptions to what I've just said, but
it's generally accurate.

Obviously your machine is trying to establish a network connection (or
perhaps just send mail), but the bit about the address incrementing is
totally weird. If you didn't set this up, then it must be part of some
network service's default config. Good hunting!

Paul