Re: Getting dselect and apt-* to work from a local file system

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:00:22PM +0200, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> My suggestion is, use dselect to choose what program to install (dselect will
> check for dependencies) use "apt-get dselect-upgrade --print-uris to get the
> list of package to download with windo~1.

A good idea.

But apt-get will need to know about the available packages, so you will need
to also download the Packages file.  Put it somewhere on your harddisk and
create a "deb file:/$path" line in /etc/apt/sources.list, so apt will find
the Packages file when you do an update.

> Now, you have three options, install them manually with dpkg (tedious and boring
> and prone to errors), install them using dselect (but i don't remember where
> dselect stores the downloaded packages) or use apt-get telling him where to find
> the downloaded packages, something like 'apt-get --o
> dir::cache::archives="/mnt/debian-packages/" --dselect-upgrade', supposing you
> have mounted your windo~1 partition in "/mnt" and the downloaded packages are
> under "debian-packages" directory...

Put the debs in /var/cache/apt/archives, apt-get will find them there.

Cheers,

Joost