Re: Arrg! I want DVD

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 12:12:59AM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I just compiled the latest version of oms, but when I try to play a dvd,
> it gives me these errors:

I've a few things to suggest you check from the error messages...

> Using MMX for IDCT transform
> Using 3DNOW for motion compensation
> LOG_INFO        plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#484     loading plugin:
> (CodecSpu) spu ,  (null)
> LOG_INFO        plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#376    plugin
> /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/dec_spu.so matched spu , (null) : spu ,
> (null)
> LOG_ERROR       input_udf.c:_dvd_read#261       read (Input/output
> error)
> LOG_INFO        input_udf.c:_dvd_read#262       most probably the disc
> is encrypted

1. make sure some CSS decryption was compiled / installed. I think
    OMS moved their CSS support to a library called libcss.

> LOG_INFO        input_udf.c:_dvd_read#263       please install DVD
> ioctls

2. check your kernel. I don't remember when this stuff was added, if
    you have an older 2.2 kernel you might need to upgrade / patch.
    That, or some other kernel-level stuff. UDF fs, maybe.

> LOG_ERROR       nav_dvd.c:_dvd_pre_read#824     cell_pos:0 unable to get
> full block (-1)
> LOG_INFO        thread_input.c:_oms_thread_input#27     no more data
> left on input
>
> I noticed that my kernel output is kind of weird too:
> end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 1228008
> hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: command error: error=0x50

3. if nothing else worked, I seem to recall seeing something about
    these messages being caused by a buggy DMA driver. You can get
    hdparm to turn off DMA for the drive, or maybe set an option to
    LILO when your computer starts.

In any case, check some docs. I think there's a sort-of out-of-date
DVD-HOWTO out there which should still be useful for making sure you
have all the necessary kernel support.

HTH,
Mike McGuire