Re: [users] xset (and therefore Abiword) doesn't work

Thanks for the offer.  Actually, a little more research led me to the
answer.  I found a post on comp.os.windows.x that referred to the
problem.  It seems that when I got the 4.x version of XFree86, the
config script I used did not create the statements to load all of the
appropriate font modules.  X was not able to recognize the fonts in the
abisource directory as fonts, so it error-ed out.  None of the font
directories that had Type1 fonts were being loaded at boot time.

I added the line

        Load "freetype"

in the Section "Module", and that fixed me right up.

Thanks, too for replying; I had meant to post this back to the list and
hadn't.