Re: startx -- :1

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Kent West wrote:
> harsha wrote:
> >     gave startx -- :1
> >     but this is what happens
<...>
> I noticed this a few months ago on my machines also (running Sid). I
> don't know if the startx script/sequence is broken, or if the procedure
> has been changed, but some one a few weeks back mentioned that you can
> get around the problem by adding the vt number you want. For example,
> you'd type:
> 	startx -- :1 vt8

I missed that, thanks.

> I hope it's just a bug and not a new method; I know it's been filed as a
> bug, but I haven't checked on the status lately.

ditto.

The command line has gone from, e.g.,

	startx blackbox -- :1
	startx /usr/bin/blackbox -- :1 vt6

which means,
to get the same functionality you need to do...

	startx `which blackbox` -- :1 `nextfreevt`

...but I don't think there is a "nextfreevt" program available.

- Bruce