Re: GRUB & Rieserfs

Chuck Stickelman wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I've made two changes to my home system (I know... should have done
>  one at a time...)
> I've changed my boot loader from LILO to GRUB and I've changed my root
> file system
> from ext2 to reiserfs.
>
> my partition table is setup as:
> /dev/hda1    ext2            /boot
> /dev/hda2    swap
> /dev/hda3    reiserfs      /
>
> GRUB comes up with a menu and I can boot to /boot if needed.
> To boot normally I tell GRUB that:
> root (hd0,2)
> kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.4.5 root=/dev/hda3 ro
>
> I see the kernel loading, I see it mount the / (root) file system as a
> reiserfs
> (reiserfs support is in the kernel, not a module)
> but I then get a kernel panic saying it is unable to find init.
>
> What's up?  I've read through as many README's and .html files as I
> can find.
> The one thing I've noticed is a reference that says -notail is needed
>  for some
> programs like LILO - is GRUB "like LILO" in this instance?  If so, how
> do I mount
> / (root) with the -notail  option?  (I've tried editing the /etc/fstab
> to include notail,ro
> without any change.
>
> I'd guess I'm doing something stupid or overlooking the obvious...
> just need to get
> my machine back up and running and would rather not have to re-create
>  one or more
> ext2 file systems...
>
> Any and all help appreciated.
> Chuck

Hi Chuck

The difference between lilo and grub is: lilo stores the raw place where
the kernel image lies (the reason why you must run lilo every time you
change your kernel) while grub has to be able to read the root
partition: /boot/vmlinuz is a symlink to /vmlinuz => this is the
cracking point.

Are you sure grub can read reiserfs? I don't think so, so switch back to
lilo until grub can read reiserfs and you will be fine for now

hth

joerg

PS.: Everybody, please correct me if I'm wrong...

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.