Re: mp3 players

* Craig Dickson (crdic@yahoo.com) [010710 22:04]:

> Ogg Vorbis is technically superior to mp3 and not patented. (Thomson
> Multimedia, who administer Fraunhofer's mp3 patents, have been talking
> more and more recently about demanding license fees from everyone who
> uses mp3 encoders.)

Where can I read more about Ogg Vorbis ?? I'm curious exactly how it's
"superior" to mp3... I must admit, I've never tried a file in that
format myself.

It looks like "vorbis-tools" is the package I need to download and try
out. Hmmm, my xmms won't load at the moment. Gives this error:

Segmentation fault

You've probably found a bug in XMMS, please visit
http://www.xmms.org/bugs and fill out a bug report.

Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xba8)!
Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

I *think* it's already got a plug-in that allows it to play ogg-vorbis
files.

Hall