Re: Squid - a bit off-topic

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 05:58:33PM +0000, Victor wrote:
> Sorry for this question somewhat astray.
>
> I've convinced my Information Tech Dept. to adopt a linux proxy server
> (instead of Win NT stuff!!) and they're thinking of Squid.
>
> Now the problem they are dealing with as newbies with linux is about
> user authentication.
>
> In a nutshell, because only few of us (100 people out of 650) are
> allowed to connect to the web, the present Win NT proxy server connect
> to the PDC server where a group of users authorised to connect to the
> Internet is defined. Of course the users don't need to provide their
> account and passwords.
>
> They now wonder if this same group on the PDC server can be used with
> Squid for the same purpose without dismantling that magnificent :-( NT
> server or - which is worst - duplicate list of users?
>
> Any suggestion?

Hmm, not sure. Squid supports PAM, so if you can set up PAM to look at the
list of users using a database module (investigate the berkley style
modules) then that should allow you to just get away with copying the list.

If you use DNS for all your internal machines and DHCP then you should be
able to set up a subdomain for the machines that can connect to the net and
then authenticate on this.

Or, if you use fixed IPs then you can just authenticate on that.

HTH

Matthew
--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,

Using Debian/GNU Linux
Enjoying computing

It said 'Required Windows XP or better.'
So I installed Linux.