Re: no swap

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 01:22:34AM -0700, G.LeeJ wrote:
| Does debian use a swap file I assume so......if not well forget this but

Not a "file" but a partition.  It only uses one if you created one (a
good idea!) when you installed (or if you added one later on).

| if so somehow mine went south!....... gnome system info shows 0 swap for
| itself and used etc.....
|
| reason asking is sometimes my system'HD grinds endlessly away at
| something..when its done it and i've had system monitor running I see
| nothing going on....if system monitor hadn't been running before I can't
| run it because the system is bogged down with the runaway process..

Try 'free'.  Also in gnome-applets there is a swap-usage monitor as
well as mem-usage monitor and cpu-load monitor.  I really like having
those in a small non-autohiding panel.

It could be that your system is thrashing about because it is spending
too much time swapping stuff and not getting any processing done (my
486 with 8MB RAM does this every time I use apt-get, especially with
installs, or 'dpkg -l \*' or anything else like that).

-D