Re: help! can't start X anymore

Hi,

I'm kinda digging up this thread from april becuause i'm having the same problem and there didn't seem to be a definite answer to the thread.

I've been using xfree86-common 3.35 then decided to update to the testing-distribution and now i have xfree86-common 4.something

When I tried startx i got:

$ startx

Can't stat /etc/X11/X (cuz it doesn't exist)

ok, i tried making a link from /usr/X11R6/bin/X to /etc/X11
then i got another error message, something about wrapping back to /etc/X11.
I'm sorry i don't remember the exact message, i'm writing this from windows 98.

then i tried copying /usr/X11R6/bin/X to /etc/X11
then got another error message.

From the previous thread in April, it seemed the only way to fix this problem was to downgrade the packages.  I'm hoping that by now, some fix has been discovered?

Thanks for any replies,

Drew