Re: NO! chmod strikes! -- ooopss

On 8 Jul 2001, David Z Maze wrote:

> Alvin Oga <aoga@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com> writes:
> AO> if you only wanted to change the local dot files... oh well...
> AO> we all learn and remember the hard way... :-)
> AO> 	shoulda been:  chmod pattern  ~/.*
>
> ...which will still catch ~/. and ~/.., which you don't want.

yeah... oooppss....  was just merrily typing ...

sorry for the boo-boo .. hope nobody ran that command

chmod pattern .[a-z]*
	.bashrc, .bash_history, .bash_profile, .login, .profile,
	.rhosts,  etc...

	but than again...that will change the .elm, .netscape too
	so you'd need more twiddling

and if ya make a mistake or afraid to run a command...
backup the stuff first...than try it... or read up first..
if it gets broken....take advantage of it..and try to fix it...

learning new ways to break things and fix things is sometimes fun ??

have fun linuxing
alvin