Re: [users] "Value too large for defined data type"?

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 21:09:31 +0200, "Martin F. Krafft" writes:
>also sprach Eric N. Valor (on Tue, 03 Jul 2001 12:07:30PM -0700):
>> I keep getting this message while trying to access a (presumably) very
>> large file.  It's a tarball restored from tape.  I can't do anything more
>> than "ls".  Even "ls -l" bombs with the message "Value too large for
>> defined data type".
>>
>> What can I do about this?
>
>cat /dev/null > filename

aieeeh. Are you sure he simply wants the file out-of-the-way?

Admittedly, there´s not much else you can do about it if the file is
 > 2 GB. If you want to get to the data _inside_ the tarball, I guess
 your best bet would be something along `dd if=/dev/st0 | tar xv *`
 in the directory where you want your files. Should have plenty of
 free space there, though...

>took me a while to find that out myself.

AOL, although I think I used dd and did an anticipatory fsck
 afterwards.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- It may look like I'm just sitting here doing nothing, but
-- I'm really actively waiting for all my problems to go away.